— Professional Accomplishments —
Gina Mohammed, PhD
Science & Research Director
Dr. Gina Mohammed is an international science consultant with over
30 years of expertise in research, applications, and commercialization of plant
physiological science. Her specialties include non-timber forest products, bioindicators of plant
health, remote sensing of vegetative condition, plant biotechnology & tissue culture, and botanical medicines. Gina
holds a PhD in plant physiology from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. She has produced over
180 scientific publications, plus dozens of articles
for consumer magazines and newspapers — and a comprehensive book of NTFP business ideas & resources on CD/DVD.
Dr. Mohammed is a pioneer in the development & uses of chlorophyll fluorescence technology.
Presently she is a consultant & project manager for the European Space Agency (ESA)
and a member of their Fluorescence Explorer (FLEX) Mission Advisory Group (MAG).
Below are listed some of the major accomplishments of her career.
|Scientific Advisory Work
- Reviewer for a variety of government publications.
- Project Scientist – European Space Agency (ESA)
- Development of a Vegetation Fluorescence Canopy Model (FluorMod)
- Fluorescence Explorer (FLEX) satellite mission, aka Earth Explorer 8
- Project manager for the FLEX/Sentinel-3 Tandem Mission Photosynthesis Study
- Project manager for the FLEX Bridge Study
- ESA's Fluorescence Explorer (FLEX) Satellite Mission
- Mission Advisory Group (MAG) team member
- Presentation panel participant at ESA's Earth Explorer 8 User Consultation Meeting
- Ontario Industrial Uses for Renewable Resources – Committee member.
- Science Advisor to the Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP) –
Project: Chlorophyll Fluorescence and Performance of Northern Ontario Trees, to transfer fluorescence technology.
- Member of the Nursery Problem Advisory Team – to provide
on-site trouble-shooting and science advice to field clients and government & private nurseries.
- Advisor to Forest Research Advisory Council of Canada – on aspects of
how to integrate young scientists into Canada's forestry research.
- Reviewer of Ontario and Canadian research grant proposals.
- Reviewer of U.S. federal grant proposals.
- Reviewer of earth science research proposals for NASA.
- Scientific Advisor and Member, Board of Directors – Lakehead University
Seedling Technology Research Cooperative (LUSTR), to advise private nurseries and forest
product companies on scientific research and new product development.
- Sault College GIS Specialist Program – Advisory board member.
- Chair, Canadian Tree Physiology Award Committee – Canadian Society of Plant Physiologists.
- Reviewer for various scientific journals – including:
- New Forests
- Canadian Journal of Forest Research
- Plant Cell Reports
- Biotechnic & Histochemistry
- Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture
- In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology - Plant
- Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences
- Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology
- Remote Sensing of Environment
- Participant in Canadian Space Agency's meetings – on its Long Term Space Plan
as it relates to hyperspectral spaceborne technologies and applications in forest condition monitoring.
- Adjunct Professor – University of Waterloo/Biology.
- Graduate student committees at University of Waterloo, York University,
and Royal Roads University.
- External Examiner – Lakehead University, M.Sc. Thesis.
- Invited Speaker and/or Session Chair at several conferences and seminars.
- Plant Physiology Expert – for CBC Radio's science program
Quirks and Quarks.
- Conference organizer – for various forestry and non-timber forest products venues.
- Conference Science Committee member:
- 5th International Workshop on Remote Sensing of Vegetation Fluorescence
- Remote Sensing of Fluorescence, Photosynthesis, and Vegetation Status
- Forest Industry – Government and private sector
- Development and application of plant stress testing tools
- Plant physiology and chlorophyll fluorescence
- Non-timber forest products
- Wood fibre opportunities
- Co-ordination of peer reviews for technical reports
- Agriculture – Government and private sector
- Methods for early stress detection in crops using chlorophyll fluorescence
- Environmental Applications
- Techniques for stress evalution in aquatic plants
- Bioenergy & biofuels
- Non-Timber Forest Products in Alaska - Hidden Forest Values
Conference and NTFP tour in Anchorage and Talkeetna, Alaska.
- Keynote Address: The hidden face of the forest:
Non-timber products and values.
Proc. Non-Timber Forest Products in Alaska – Hidden Forest Values, Anchorage, Alaska,
November 8-9, 2001: 81-100 (Abstract 3-4).
[ Read it HERE ]
- Making the Grade
(IUFRO) - an international symposium on planting stock performance and quality assessment
in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.
- Keynote Address: The status and future of plant quality assessment.
Proc. Making the Grade:
An International Symposium on Planting Stock Performance and Quality Assessment.
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, September 11-15, 1994.
- Remote Sensing of Fluorescence, Photosynthesis, and Vegetation Status
(ESA-ESRIN) - International science conference in Frascati, Italy.
- Keynote Address: Advances from FLuorescence EXplorer (FLEX) science studies
and recommendations for future research.
Proc. Remote Sensing of Fluorescence, Photosynthesis, and Vegetation Status.
Frascati, Italy, January 17-19, 2017.
|Other Major Accomplishments
- Co-inventor of the Fluoroscein diacetate (FDA) seed viability screening procedure.
- Founder and Chair – Chlorophyll Fluorescence Working Group, an international group of
scientists and forestry professionals who are advancing fluorescence technology into areas of stress
evaluation and health. Editor of their bi-annual newsletter.
- Development and application of GMD nutrient medium – for conifer tissue culture, which is
now widely used in biotechnological applications around the world.
- Author of "Non-timber forest products in Ontario: An overview" – a
Forest Research Information paper produced by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
Read it HERE
- Author of "The Canadian NTFP Business Companion" – a
comprehensive book of NTFP business ideas, practical information, and resources on CD/DVD.
- Lead author of the 2019 review of developments in solar-induced chlorophyll fluorescence (SIF)
over the past 50 years.
|Awards and Special Honours
- OFRI Certificate of Recognition for Scientific Achievement – for research and
co-development of the Fluoroscein diacetate (FDA) seed viability screening procedure (2001).
- Fellowship from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (Paris) –
Co-operative Research Program: Biological Resource Management for Sustainable
Agricultural Systems. Hosted by the U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Lincoln, Nebraska, March 7-21, 1999.
- OFRI Certificate of Recognition for Scientific Achievement – for contributions to a
special issue of New Forests on Making the Grade (1997).
- 'Best All-Around Scientist' Award – Ontario Forest Research Institute (1993).
- B.C. Chamber of Commerce Award – for best new made-in-BC product,
awarded to our research group at AgriForest Technologies Ltd. (1986).
- Featured scientist at EXPO '86 – in the British Columbia Pavilion movie,
Our B.C. (1986).
© 2020 P&M Technologies - All Rights Reserved